Fraud Warning – Scam Calls and SMS
Lycamobile takes reporting fraud very seriously. If you have been a victim of fraud, we will support you. There are steps you need to follow and reporting this is key to minimise any further impact. It is important to understand that we may never understand or find out how the root cause and what initially occurred, nor can we make any assumptions.
There are known examples which have started from phishing, smishing and the use of social engineering tactics to obtain information. This is not only to trick you but to appear to be something the perpetrators are not i.e., Lycamobile.This is Fraud
You may have received untoward contact via a suspect phone call, SMS, WhatsApp or even Viber. These are common methods used by fraudsters. If you are unsure who is contacting you, end this communication immediately and contact us via the appropriate channels as listed on our website.
Scam – Calls & SMS
• Private number or international dialling code
• Request for money
• Poor grammar
• Use of information gained from social engineering, to gain your trust
Do not engage with these persons and do not carry out any requests. End all communication and contact us immediately.
There are known scams that are in circulation and we ask that you always remain vigilant which such contacts and requests.
• Lycamobile Impersonation Fraud
• Fake Lyca Lottery Prize winner
• Fake COVID-19 Vaccine SMS
If you suspect something is not right, report this straightaway via the communication methods outlined below. We will never ask you for money. We have been made aware of scenarios where fraudsters request you to transfer money to subsequently receive a large prize amount. These are common and known methods and should be treated with suspicion. Any request for money to be sent via Google Play vouchers, MoneyGram, Giftcards, PayPal vouchers and Western Union transfer are known fraud tactics.
These are known methods fraudsters use for financial gain and should be treated with suspicion. Do not send money via these methods. These payment methods are classed as high risk as they are almost impossible to track down and are almost redeemed within minutes of transfer. If you have sent any money via these methods, please report accordingly via the links outlined below.
We will never ask for your personal government-issued photographic identification nor will we communicate with you by WhatsApp or Viber. We have seen in some cases fraudsters requesting to claim a prize this way and share personal information. This is fraud.
There are examples of fraudsters requesting an ‘up-front’ payment to release funds relating to a lottery pay out, again this is fraud. If you are contacted via WhatsApp, Viber, or phone call to claim a prize, do not send any money as this is part of the scam. The listed payment methods below are used by fraudsters and are classed as high-risk: MoneyGram, Western Union & Google Play vouchers.
There have been reported examples of fraudsters impersonating company CEO’s and those equivalent job titles with the request to transfer funds via Google Pay vouchers and similar voucher-based payment methods.
Fraudsters have targeted specific people within a company ‘acting’ as a CEO, then requesting money to be sent via WhatsApp or Viber. Never send money via these methods and end all communication. Report this type of scam to your Information Security Officer within your organisation. Additionally, report as per links found below.
The amounts are usually large, and vouchers used with suspicious e-mail addresses as an initial contact method. The telephone number is identified with a foreign number and Lycamobile logo image.
How do I report a Fraud enquiry to Lycamobile?
• Contact us via the following form below
• Send us all details including any screenshots and attachments to our Fraud Alerts team e-mail address: Fraud_Alert@lycamobile.com
• Submit an official report to the Fraud Help Desk.
• Make an official report at your local police force within the right division.
• Financially, there will need to be an official report made. This can be your card issuer/money provider or money transfer service. Please find the contact details of Google Play vouchers, MoneyGram, and Western Union transfer below:
Fraudster’s tactics are continuously improving. You should always question why you are being contacted and to seek clarification immediately. We will never directly contact you to ask for personal information nor request financial reimbursement from you.
The Fraud Help Desk and Police Scam and Fraud websites are the official ways to report. Here you will find further examples/tips to spot fraud and to remain safe online:
How can Lycamobile help me if I have been a victim of Fraud?
• Collect as much information as possible and e-mail this to Fraud_Alert@lycamobile.com
• Provide screenshots and add these as attachments.
• Report to the appropriate website links above.
• Use the submit form below.
• Contact our customer service team.
When contacting us regarding fraudulent activity or you believe you have been a victim of fraud, please provide us with as much detail as possible and add screenshots that may help. You will need to report the matter to The Fraud Help Desk along with local police force to obtain an official reference for reporting purposes. Our commitment to you with your enquiry is to offer our support and help minimise any further impact to you.
Contact Customer Service
Please do not hesitate to contact us. Our customer service team is available Mon-Sat from 9.30 to 18.30. Sundays we are closed.
• Dial 1200 from your Lycamobile phone number. No charge
• Dial 020-754 3030 from any other phone. Operator charges may apply.
• Fill out the form below or send us an email to Fraud_Alert@lycamobile.com